What is a slot machine? A slot machine is a machine from which you can earn money from by putting slot coins into the machine. Slot machines terminologies are expanding and even if you are an expert slots player, chances are that there are some new slot terminologies you are yet to familiarize yourself with.
Slots have its own unique language and it is good for a slot player to familiarize himself or herself with some of its terms at minimum. You do not want to look lost in the Casino when folks are using these terms. Not all slot machine terminologies will be covered in this article, just the once I consider important and relevant for quick study. These terminologies include:
- 3-Reel: They are slots that have three reels and three symbols arranged in a row.
- 5-Reel: They are slots that have five reels and three or four symbols arranged in a row.
- 243 Ways to Win: This are slot games that do not use a single pay line to determine who wins a slot game. 243 Ways to Win instead determines winners based on other winning combinations.
- Action: This refers to the total sum of money a slot player has played including his winnings and losses.
- All Ways: This refers to an online slot machine option that offers slot players to select multiple pay lines options possibly running into hundreds on all sides (left to right and right to left directions).
- Annuity Winner: This is a slot machine option that offers winners a chance to collect their winnings in yearly installments as against collecting the whole winnings in one payment. The advantage of this option is that you do not have to a pay a huge tax on account of your winnings.
- Auto-spin: This is a slot machine feature that automatically allocates the number of spins to be used in a game without much involvement or no involvement from the slot player.
- AWP: This is an acronym that stands for Amusement with Prizes. For a slot machine to be classified as an AWP, it must have player interaction as one of its remarkable features. The rise of online slots has rendered many AWPs useless and unfashionable.
- Basic Slots: They are also known as straights. They have only one single pay line and their jackpot amount is fixed.
- Bet: This refers to the total sum of money that a slot player wagers on the slot machine.
- Bet Max: This is full for Bet Maximum. Bet Max is the maximum sum a slot player can bet on a single spin in a slot game. The slot machine usually has a button that allows the slot player to select the maximum sum available for betting. The Bet Max always has the highest payout sum if the wager is successful of all other bet sums available to the slot player.
- Bet Min: This is full for Bet Minimum. Bet Min is the minimum sum a slot player can bet on a single spin in a slot game. The slot machine usually has a button that allows the slot player to select the minimum sum available for betting. The Bet Min always has the lowest payout sum if the wager is successful of all other bet sums available to the slot player.
- Bet One: This is a term used to describe a situation where a slot player bets just a single unit per spin on the slot machine.
- Betting Units: Betting units refers to the various money lines (credits) used to wager on the slot machine by the slot player(s). Different slot machines use different betting units.
- Big Bertha: This refers to really big slot machines that are have multiple reels and are bigger than the normal slot machines. They are used in Casinos to attract the attention of slot players.
- Big Hit: This is a win-win situation whereby the slot player spins the slot and lands on the jackpot combination.
- Bonus Feature: They are features that are used to entice slot players to wager on the slot machine such as free spins, wild cards and symbols.
- Candle: This is a term that refers to the light on the slot machine which the player uses to alert the operation when he is having difficulty with the slot machine.
- Cashback: This is a term used to describe the rewards that is given by the Casino to club playing slot players.
- Classic: This refers to an old school slot based machines that has no bonus feature and the minimal pay lines as possible.
- Coin: These are the currency that the slot machines recognizes.
- Coin In: This refers to the number of coins that the slot player uses to wager.
- Coin Out: This refers to the number of coins that the slot player wins from wagering.
- Collect: The collect button on the slot machine once activated convert coins into cash for the slot player.
- Drop Bucket: This is the bucket that stores excess coins when the hopper is full. It can be found at the base of the slot machine. The drop bucket is a common feature of low denomination slot machines.
- EGM: This is short for Electronic Gaming Machine.
- Feature: Feature refers to the attractions of the slot machines such as free spin, bonuses and other attractions.
- Fixed Value Slots: These are slot games where both the coin size and betting sum cannot be changed and are fixed per spin.
- Free Play: This are slot games where the slot player dos not lose money or gain money, it is played for entertainment and fun.
- Free Spin: This is a bonus feature that allows a slot player to have a go at a spin for free.
- Gamble: This is a term used to describe the feature on a slot machine that offers you the opportunity to double your expected winnings on a spin.
- Games Per Hour: This refers to the number of games that a slot player can play per hour. The standard number is usually around 500 though it varies based on the preference of the slot player and the slot machine.
- Hammer a Machine: This is strategy used by slot players in which they play the same slot selection for a long period to try and win the jackpot on that slot selection.
- Hold Percentage: This refers to the percentage of winnings that the Casino keeps for itself. The hold percentage is always a small fraction of the winnings and the percentage varies based on the type of slot machines.
- Hot Slots: This is a term used to describe slot machines that pay more than other slot machines.
- Icons: This is another word used for the slot symbols.
- Instant Winner: This is a situation whereby the slot player collects all his or her winnings instantly.
- Jackpot: This is a term used to describe the highest amount that a slot machine can offer as payout to any slot player.
- MEAL book: MEAL is short for Machine Entry Authorization Log. The MEAL book performs the function of keeping record of entries into the game.
- Mobile Slots: These ae slot games that you can play on your phones.
- Payback Percentage: This refers the percentage of winnings that is returned to the slot player.
- Pay line: This is the line of combinations which the slot players aim at arriving at in order to win.
- Pick Me: This is a bonus round feature in which slot players are presented with a number of icons to pick from, and each icon reveals a hidden prize.
- Pokies: It is a term used in Australia for online slots.
- Reels: These are the disks that have symbols on them and spins inside the slot machine.
- Rows: These refers to symbols that are arranged horizontally.
- Select Lines: These are the number of pay lines that a slot player can select on a slot game.
- Short Win: This is a term used to describe a situation in which a player plays on the slot machine for a very short time before hitting the jackpot.
- Total Bet: This is the total number of coins a slot player wagers on a single slot game.
- Well: The Well is located at the bottom of the slot machine. It is where coins are dropped when the slot player decides to cash out his or her winnings.
Slot machines have their own language. A good slot player should have a good comprehension of these terms (slot languages) in order not to look out of place with other slot players. The fifty slot terminologies that have been selected should be memorized and known by all slot players both aspiring and existing.